Need of a License: Electrical contractors who perform $50,000 or more work on any single job must be licensed by the State Licensing Board for Contractors. Journeyman electricians are not licensed by the state.
Who Grants a License: The State Licensing Board for Contractors issues licenses in Louisiana.
Qualifications and Exam requirements: There are experience, financial responsibility and technical qualification requirements, as well as a written examination administered or approved by the State Licensing Board for Contractors.
How to Apply for the License:
Commercial and residential contractor applications can be found online.
The following subjects are tested on the electrical contractor exam:
- license law
- federal and state tax laws
- labor laws, estimating and bidding
- project management
- risk management
- business organizations
- Louisiana lien laws and contractor safety practices.
- application of basic electrical theory
- general electrical knowledge required for residential wiring
- grounding and bonding
- branch circuits and overcurrent protection
- raceways and enclosures
- motors and controls
- utilization and general use equipment
- special occupancies
- general electrical knowledge
- Louisiana laws and rules regarding electrical work
- low voltage and specialty topics: electrical signs, cathodic protection, amplification, alarms, computer cabling, telephones
Passing Grade: 70%
Exam Details: Open Book Test, 4 hours, 80 questions
The Louisiana State Licensing Board for Contractors accepts examination scores from the NASCLA Accredited National Building Construction Examination.
Candidate Booklet: Candidate Information Bulletin
Fees: There are fees to obtain a license.
Who administers the test: Louisiana State Licensing Board for contractors; 3 days a week
License Renewal Requirements: Contractor licenses must be renewed annually.
Applicable Code: NEC 2011
State Licensing Board for Contractors
PO Box 14419
Baton Rouge, LA 70898
(225) 765-2431 fax
To prepare for your electrician exam, use the following two practice exams by Ray Holder (Master Electrician and Certified Electrical Trade Instructor) which have 300 questions with fully explained answers:Journeyman and Master Electrician Test Guide.
And take Tests.com's free Journeyman Electrician Practice Test and the Master Electrician Practice Test.
For electrician exam preparation products and services, such as study guides, practice tests, flashcards and courses, go to Tests.com's Journeyman Electrician Exam and Master Electrician Exam listings.