Who Grants a License: Electrician licenses are granted by the New Jersey Board of Examiners of Electrical Contractors.
Qualifications Needed to Receive a License:
Contractor: A candidate must be over 21 years of age and hold a high school diploma or equivalent.
A candidate must also have completed one of the following:
- Five years’ hands-on experience in installation, alteration, or repair of wiring for electric light, heat or power
- Four-year apprenticeship
- Qualification as a qualified journeyman electrician and completion of at least one year of practical hands-on experience
- A bachelor's degree in electrical engineering and two years’ practical hands-on experience
How to Apply for a License: A candidate for licensure must complete/send an application to the New Jersey Board of Examiners of Electrical Contractors. The telephone to reach the department is (973) 504-6410.
The electrical contractor exam is an open-book exam consisting of 50 questions on Business & Law with a time limit of 2 hours and 100 questions on Electrical Contracting with a time limit of 4 hours. A candidate needs at least a 70% grade to pass.
The exam covers the following subject areas:
- Business Organization
- Estimating and Bidding
- Contract Management
- Project Management
- Risk Management
- Labor Law
- Financial Management
- Tax Law
- Lien Law
- General Electrical Knowledge
- Raceways and Enclosures
- Services, Feeders, and Branch Circuits
- Overcurrent Protection
- Conductors and Cables
- Grounding and Bonding
- Equipment for General Use
- Special Occupancies
- Special Equipment and Conditions
- Motors and Controls
- Low Voltage and Communications Circuits
Who Administers the Test: PSI - They can be contacted at 800-733-9267 or online at https://candidate.psiexams.com/.
License Renewal Requirements: Licenses must be renewed every third year before March 31st.
Applicable Code: NEC 2014
To prepare for your electrician exam, use the following two practice exams by Ray Holder (Master Electrician and Certified Electrical Trade Instructor) which have 300 questions with fully explained answers:Journeyman and Master Electrician Test Guide.
And take Tests.com's free Journeyman Electrician Practice Test and the Master Electrician Practice Test.
For electrician exam preparation products and services, such as study guides, practice tests, flashcards and courses, go to Tests.com's Journeyman Electrician Exam and Master Electrician Exam listings.