New Jersey Electrician Exam
Need of a License: Electrical contractors need a license to work in New Jersey. Journeyman electricians do not need a license.
Who Grants a License: Electrician licenses are granted by the New Jersey Board of Examiners of Electrical Contractors.
Qualifications Needed to Receive a License
Contractor: A candidate must be over 21 years of age and hold a high school diploma or equivalent.
A candidate must also have completed one of the following:
- Five years’ hands-on experience in installation, alteration, or repair of wiring for electric light, heat or power
- Four-year apprenticeship
- Qualification as a qualified journeyman electrician and completion of at least one year of practical hands-on experience
- A bachelor's degree in electrical engineering and two years’ practical hands-on experience
Exam Requirements: A candidate for an electrical contractor license must pass the Electrical Contractor Examination.
How to Apply for a License: A candidate for licensure must complete/send an application to the New Jersey Board of Examiners of Electrical Contractors. The telephone to reach the department is (973) 504-6410.
The electrical contractor exam is an open-book exam consisting of 50 questions on Business & Law with a time limit of 2 hours and 100 questions on Electrical Contracting with a time limit of 4 hours. A candidate needs at least a 70% grade to pass.
- Business Organization
- Estimating and Bidding
- Contract Management
- Project Management
- Risk Management
- Labor Law
- Financial Management
- Tax Law
- Lien Law
- General Electrical Knowledge
- Raceways and Enclosures
- Services, Feeders, and Branch Circuits
- Overcurrent Protection
- Conductors and Cables
- Grounding and Bonding
- Equipment for General Use
- Special Occupancies
- Special Equipment and Conditions
- Motors and Controls
- Low Voltage and Communications Circuits
Fees: There is an examination fee.
Who Administers the Test: PSI - They can be contacted at 800-733-9267 or online at https://candidate.psiexams.com/.
License Renewal Requirements: Licenses must be renewed every third year before March 31st.
Applicable Code: NEC 2017