Hawaii Counselor License Exam
To get licensed in Hawaii, Professional Counselors are required to take an exam covering such subjects as human growth and development, psychopathology, group therapy and professional ethics. Whether you live in Honolulu, or on the islands of Maui or Kaua’i, the resources below will help you get started on the path to receive your Professional Counselor’s license.
Need of a License: A license is needed to work as a counselor in the State of Hawaii. Licenses are granted by the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs Professional and Vocational Licensing.
To become a licensed professional counselor in Hawaii, the following must be met:
- Obtain a graduate degree in counseling from an accredited school meeting credit limits. Of not less than 3,000 hours of with 100 hours of face to face clinical supervision in not less than two years and in not more than four years
- An applicant must earn a passing score on the NCE (National Counselor Exam).
How to Apply for Licensure
An application for licensure and other documentation can be obtained online. All documents must be sent to:
Test Content of the NCE
The NCE consists of 200 multiple-choice questions and is administered over a four-hour period. The NCE covers the following six knowledge, skill and task domains:
- Professional Practice and Ethics
- Intake, Assessment and Diagnosis
- Areas of Clinical Focus
- Treatment Planning
- Counseling Skills and Interventions
- Core Counseling Attributes
The questions are aligned to the following CACREP Common Core Areas:
- Human Growth and Development
- Social and Cultural Diversity
- Counseling and Helping Relationships
- Group Counseling and Group Work
- Career Development
- Assessment and Testing
- Research and Program Evaluation
- Professional Orientation and Ethical Practice
For more information, see the NCE Candidate Handbook.
How to Apply to Take the Exam
Apply online to take the NCE.
The exam is administered by Pearson VUE.
License Renewal and Continuing Education Requirements
To renew a license, no continuing education is needed. The license needs to be renewed on a Triennial basis on June 30.
Stacy Fruhling, LCPC, LCADC, NCC, MAC,
Lisa Slade, MS, LPC, NCC,
OUR PRACTICE EXAM COVERS THE ACTUAL NCE DOMAINS:
The NCE contains 200 multiple-choice, non-sectioned questions. There are different versions of the test. Test questions come from a pool of questions that have been extensively reviewed and researched for content accuracy and clarity.
• Group Counseling and Group Work
• Assessment and Testing
• Research and Program Evaluation