Massachusetts Counselor License Exam
Need of a License: A license is needed to work as a counselor in Massachusetts. Licenses are granted by the Board of Registration of Allied Mental Health and Human Services Professions.
To qualify to become a Licensed Mental Health Counselor in Massachusetts, the following must be met:
- Obtain a graduate degree in counseling from an accredited school meeting credit limits.
- Meet supervised clinical experience requirements of 3,360 hours of postgraduate professional counseling, including at least 130 hours of supervision, in not less than one year. There must be one hour of supervision for every 16 hours of practice. 75 hours must be individual supervision; the remaining 55 hours can be in group supervision.
- An applicant must earn a passing score on the National Clinical Mental Health Counselor Examination (NCMHCE)
An application for licensure and other documentation can be obtained online. All documents must be sent to:
Board of Registration of Allied Mental Health and Human Services Professionals
Boston, MA 02118
Test content of the NCMHCE
The test format comprises of 12 to 14 case studies. Each case study is followed by 10 multiple-choice questions, divided into counseling phases: the intake and assessment phase, the first follow-up counseling session, and the second follow-up counseling session. Candidates will have one hour and 45 minutes to complete the exam.
Six different counseling domains will be addressed throughout these case simulations, to include:
- Intake, Assessment, and Diagnosis
- Treatment Planning
- Counseling Skills and Interventions
- Professional Practice and Ethics
- Core Counseling Attributes
- Areas of Clinical Focus, which is the given information provided in each case study
How to Apply to Take the Exam
Apply online to take the NCMHCE.
License Renewal and Continuing Education Requirements
To renew a license, regulations require 30 clock hours of continuing education in acceptable courses and programs offered by approved Continuing Education providers. The hours must be completed every two year licensure renewal period.
______________________________________________________For more information on licensing and exam prep, go to Tests.com's NCE Guide.
And take Tests.com's free NCE Practice Test.
For counseling exam preparation products and services, such as study guides, practice tests, flashcards and courses, go to Tests.com's NCE listings.
Stacy Fruhling, LCPC, LCADC, NCC, MAC,
Lisa Slade, MS, LPC, NCC,
OUR PRACTICE EXAM COVERS THE ACTUAL NCE DOMAINS:
The NCE contains 200 multiple-choice, non-sectioned questions. There are different versions of the test. Test questions come from a pool of questions that have been extensively reviewed and researched for content accuracy and clarity.
• Group Counseling and Group Work
• Assessment and Testing
• Research and Program Evaluation