Oklahoma Massage Therapist License
To get licensed in Oklahoma, massage therapists are required to take a massage exam that covers such subjects as anatomy, physiology, pathology and kinesiology. Whether you live in Tulsa, Norman, Broken Arrow, Lawton or another city or town, the resources below will help you get started on the path to receive your massage license.
Need of a Massage License: A massage therapist needs a license to practice massage therapy in Oklahoma.
Who Grants a License: Licenses are granted by the Oklahoma State Board of Cosmetology and Barbering Advisory Board on Massage Therapy.
Qualifications to receive a License: A candidate needs to complete a minimum of 500 hours of massage therapy education.
The candidate must also pass the Massage and Bodywork Licensing Examination (MBLEx).
Test Content: The MBLEx exam consists of 100 multiple-choice questions with four choices provided for each question. Test takers have 110 minutes to complete the computer based exam.
The exam is divided into eight content areas:
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Pathology, Contraindications, Areas of Caution, Special Populations
- Benefits and Physiological Effects of Techniques that Manipulate Soft Tissue
- Client Assessment, Reassessment, & Treatment Planning
- Overview of Massage & Bodywork History/Culture/Modalities
- Ethics, Boundaries, Laws, Regulations
- Guidelines for Professional Practice
How to Apply for the License: Candidates must provide the Board the following documents:
(1) completed Application; (2) transcript of completed course of study; (3) criminal background check; (4) verification of passage of the MBLEx. Candidates must send the documents to:
Oklahoma State Board of Cosmetology and Barbering
Advisory Board on Massage Therapy
2401 NW 23rd Street, Suite 84
Oklahoma City, OK 73107-2453
Phone: (405) 522-7619
MBLEx transcripts must be sent directly from the testing organization.
Fees: There are fees to apply to become a licensed massage therapist.
Who Administers the Massage Tests: The MBLEx is administered by the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards (FSMTB) and Pearson Vue.
License Renewal Requirements: A massage therapist must renew her license every year and complete at least 5 hours of continuing education in that time period.
Applicable Regulations: Massage therapists in Oklahoma are governed by State Bill 87.