Rhode Island Counselor License Exam
Need of a License: A license is needed to work as a counselor in Rhode Island. Licenses are granted by The Board of Mental Health Counselors and Marriage and Family Therapists.
To qualify to become a Licensed Clinical Mental Health Counselor in Rhode Island, the following must be met:
- Obtain a graduate degree in counseling from an accredited school meeting credit limits.
- Meet supervised clinical experience requirements of 2,000 hours of post-graduate professional counseling, including at least 100 hours of supervision, in not less than two years.
- An applicant must earn a passing score on the National Clinical Mental Health Counselor Examination (NCMHCE)
An application for licensure can be obtained online. All documents must be sent to:
Rhode Island Board of Mental Health Counselors/Marriage and Family Therapists
Department of Health
3 Capitol Hill
Providence, RI 02908-5097.
Test content of the NCMHCE
The test format comprises of 12 to 14 case studies. Each case study is followed by 10 multiple-choice questions, divided into counseling phases: the intake and assessment phase, the first follow-up counseling session, and the second follow-up counseling session. Candidates will have one hour and 45 minutes to complete the exam.
Six different counseling domains will be addressed throughout these case simulations, to include:
- Intake, Assessment, and Diagnosis
- Treatment Planning
- Counseling Skills and Interventions
- Professional Practice and Ethics
- Core Counseling Attributes
- Areas of Clinical Focus, which is the given information provided in each case study
How to Apply to Take the Exam
Apply online to take the NCMHCE.
License Renewal and Continuing Education Requirements
To renew a license, regulations require 40 clock hours of continuing education in acceptable courses and programs offered by approved Continuing Education providers every two year license renewal period. At least 20 hours must be in Category I Continuing education, (formal education program attendance). 20 hours may consist of Category II continuing education, which is providing education or outstanding contributions to the field.
______________________________________________________For more information on licensing and exam prep, go to Tests.com's NCE Guide.
And take Tests.com's free NCE Practice Test.
For counseling exam preparation products and services, such as study guides, practice tests, flashcards and courses, go to Tests.com's NCE listings.
Stacy Fruhling, LCPC, LCADC, NCC, MAC,
Lisa Slade, MS, LPC, NCC,
OUR PRACTICE EXAM COVERS THE ACTUAL NCE DOMAINS:
The NCE contains 200 multiple-choice, non-sectioned questions. There are different versions of the test. Test questions come from a pool of questions that have been extensively reviewed and researched for content accuracy and clarity.
• Group Counseling and Group Work
• Assessment and Testing
• Research and Program Evaluation