Tennessee Massage Therapist License Exam
To get licensed in Tennessee, massage therapists are required to take a massage exam that covers such subjects as anatomy, physiology, pathology and kinesiology. Whether you live in Nashville, Knoxville, Memphis or another city or county, the resources below will help you get started on the path to receive your massage license.
Need of a Massage License: A massage therapist needs a license to practice massage therapy in Tennessee.
Who Grants a License: Licenses are granted by the Tennessee Massage Licensure Board.
Qualifications to receive a License: A candidate needs to complete a minimum of 500 hours of massage therapy training from an approved school or program to include:
- 200 hours of sciences
- 200 hours of massage theory
- 85 hours of allied modalities
- 10 hours of ethics
- 5 hours of Tennessee massage statutes and regulation
The candidate must pass the following exams:
- The candidate must pass the Massage and Bodywork Licensing Examination (MBLEx); and
- The candidate must pass a state jurisprudence exam. The jurisprudence exam is part of the application.
For more information on qualifications, see Tennessee Massage Therapist Application.
Test Content: The MBLEx exam consists of 100 multiple-choice questions with four choices provided for each question. Test takers have 110 minutes to complete the computer-based exam.
The exam is divided into eight content areas:
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Pathology, Contraindications, Areas of Caution, Special Populations
- Benefits and Physiological Effects of Techniques that Manipulate Soft Tissue
- Client Assessment, Reassessment, & Treatment Planning
- Overview of Massage & Bodywork History/Culture/Modalities
- Ethics, Boundaries, Laws, Regulations
- Guidelines for Professional Practice
State Jurisprudence Exam: A 27 true/false question jurisprudence exam is part of the application.
How to Apply for the License: Candidates must provide the Board the following documents: (1) completed application; (2) transcript of completed course of study; (3) CPR certification; (4) criminal background check; and (5) verification of passage of the MBLEx. Candidates must send the documents to:
Tennessee Massage Licensure Board
227 French Landing, Suite 300
Heritage Place Metro Center
Nashville, TN 37243
Phone: (800) 778-4123 ex. 32111
Official school transcripts and verification of passage of the MBLEX must be sent directly to the Board from the respective organization.
Fees: There are fees to apply to become a licensed massage therapist.
Who Administers the Massage Tests: The MBLEx is administered by the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards.
License Renewal Requirements: A massage therapist must renew her license every two years and complete at least 25 hours of continuing education in that time period.
Applicable Regulations: Massage therapists in Tennessee are governed by the Rules of Tennessee Board of Massage Licensure.